This weekend has something for everyone! For the lovers out there, Happy Valentines Day! To the not-so-in-love, Happy Presidents’ Day! To the bitter and twisted, Happy Friday the 13th! And welcome to another Off Notes weekly round-up of the best the musical internet has to offer. I’ve decided to dedicate this week’s post to the lovers and haters of the weekend’s most divisive holiday, V-Day. So read on for the most beloved and reviled things we’ve found on the internet this week!
Tunes for your afternoon:
We’re doing Off Notes a little differently this week and starting off with the soundtrack to your romantic or unromantic weekend. Our friend Akeli Hunter put together these two amazing playlists with something for any mood! Any pro- or anti-Valentine’s Day classics that she missed? Throw them in the comments and we’ll add them in!
For the V-Day Lovers
For the V-Day Haters
What we’ve fallen in love and hate with on the Internet this week:
- Celebrating Valentine’s Day? You probably need to learn how to write a love song. [Axis of Awesome on Youtube]
- Did you miss Jeremy’s love letter to 2004 Feist? Rekindle your own feelings for her here, and then check out what she’s been up to lately: a collaboration with Mastodon that features an interactive slider. It’s totally addictive. [Feistodon]
- Got $2 million lying around? You could get your hands on the original prototype of the Les Paul — a guitar so beloved Bob Marley had one buried with him! [The New York Times]
- THIS GUY IS THE WOOOOORST. Talk about a hater. [Talking Points Memo]
- Turns out the lovers of Joanna Newsom really, really love her. [Pitchfork]
- D’Angelo DEFINITELY falls into the Lover’s category. [Consequence of Sound]
- Hating on winter? These Norwegian musicians playing instruments made of ice might have you changing your tune! [Mashable]
- And once your feelings towards winter have warmed, head out to Central Park in NYC this weekend for the Ice Festival featuring a Silent Disco. Maybe you’ll quietly meet the person of your dreams! [Central Park Conservancy]
- Here are five reasons to love music even more. [Lifehack]
- And to get your weekend started off on the right note—I have no memory of this amazing 2006 Gnarls Barkley x Star Wars mashup at the MTV Music Awards, and yet somehow I’m instantly nostalgic for this simpler, whackier time. [Youtube]