We’re currently looking for part-time Soundfly Mentors to support our students in achieving their musical goals.
What is a Soundfly Mentor?
A Soundfly Mentor is an expert advisor who does whatever it takes to help students achieve their musical goals. You can almost think of them like personal trainers for music. Mentors provide highly constrained activities and exercises, offer feedback on students’ work, share advice and insights from their experience, and nerd out with students over music.
Soundfly Mentors work with students in Mainstage courses and in the Headliners Club.
What are Mainstage courses?
Mainstage courses are six-week online learning experiences taught through a series of videos, articles, illustrations, quizzes, and activity prompts. As a Soundfly Mentor, your role is to hold students accountable, keep them motivated, assign activities, and offer in-depth, thorough feedback on their work.
We currently have nine Mainstage courses that students can sign up for, though the exact number of courses we run each session depends on the number of students who sign up. Our courses include:
- Faders Up I: Modern Mix Techniques
- Faders Up II: Advanced Mix Techniques
- Beat Making in Ableton Live
- Unlocking the Emotional Power of Chords
- The Creative Power of Advanced Harmony
- The New Songwriter’s Workshop
- Introduction to the Composer’s Craft
- Orchestration for Strings
- TheoryWorks: Music Theory for Broadway Actors
What is the Headliners Club?
The Headliners Club is a four-week program that is personalized entirely toward students’ individual goals and dreams. You’ll work with students to create a Learning Plan that includes an overarching goal and a week-by-week focus. Your role throughout the program is to push them, support them, validate them, encourage them, and offer feedback that will help them grow.
How does it work?
As a Soundfly Mentor, you will be assigned up to eight students at a time, depending on enrollment and your availability. You’ll work individually with those students to ensure they achieve the outcomes of the online content and their personal objectives. Interactions happen primarily through email, Skype, phone, Slack, and online comment threads — so we’re looking for people comfortable communicating online!
- Commitment: ~3-6 hours a week, ongoing
What are the exact responsibilities?
This role is still being incubated, but the core responsibilities include:
- Weekly Communications: You will reach out to each of your students every week via email to guide them through the course content or Learning Plan, keep them motivated, and ensure their progress.
- In-Depth Feedback: You will offer in-depth, substantive feedback on your students’ weekly activities. These weekly reports will also take into account a student’s overall progress and goals.
- Administrative Stuff: You will be asked to communicate frequently with Mahea Lee, our VP of Learning & Curriculum, and to keep certain documents up to date, like the student roster spreadsheet.
- Above-and-Beyond Support: You will be prompted to get creative and figure out how you can go above and beyond to deliver value to your students! It could be sending them music relevant to their tastes, helping them understand additional musical ideas or technologies, or sending them a video of yourself demoing a topic.
What qualifies someone to be a Soundfly Mentor?
- Outstanding Communication Skills. You should feel extremely comfortable communicating frequently over email.
- Knowledge and Experience: While we don’t have a cut-and-dried set of requirements, you should be able to demonstrate that you possess substantial theoretical and real-world knowledge in at least one specific area of music.
- The Desire to See Our Students Grow: You should be excited to go out of your way to help musicians reach their artistic goals. That means being patient, understanding, and positive. It also means having an open heart when it comes to musical preferences and creative choices.
- A Passion for Learning: Though you should already be confident in your skills, you should be constantly looking to learn more about music.
Interested in becoming a Soundfly Mentor? Head over to our application form to get started. We look forward to hearing from you!