We’re currently looking for remote, part-time Soundfly Mentors to support our students in achieving their musical goals.
What is a Soundfly Mentor?
A Soundfly Mentor is an expert advisor who guides students through a multi-week, personalized learning process to help the student achieve their musical goal. You can almost think of them like personal trainers for music. Mentors provide highly constrained activities and exercises, offer feedback on students’ work, share advice and insights from the mentor’s own own experience, and nerd out with students over music.
Mentors work remotely, guiding students through the learning process over video calls, phone calls, Slack, and email.
What is a custom mentorship session?
A custom mentorship session is a four- or six-week-long program that is personalized entirely around a student’s individual goal and music. You’ll work with students to create a Learning Plan that includes an overarching goal, broken down into weekly steps. Your role throughout the program is to push your students, support them, validate them, encourage them, and offer feedback that will help them grow. Depending on the student’s goal, you might be sending them ideas for practice exercises, giving feedback on a work in progress, suggesting reference songs to listen to, and much more.
Most students who sign up for mentorship sessions are also subscribed to Soundfly’s premium course library, which mentors can draw upon to help get students the skills they need to take their music to the next level. Some students choose to focus their session around a specific course in order to get a mentor’s support in tailoring the course material to their music.
How does it work?
As a Soundfly Mentor, you will be assigned up to eight students at a time, depending on enrollment and your availability. You’ll work individually with those students to ensure they achieve their intended goal. Interactions happen primarily through email, video calls, and Slack — so we’re looking for people comfortable communicating online!
- Commitment: 1-3 hours per student per week.
What are the exact responsibilities?
To some degree it will vary depending on the student and their specific needs, but you can generally expect the following:
- Weekly Communications: You will reach out to each of your students every week via both email and 45-60 min video call to guide them through the course content or Learning Plan, keeping them motivated and ensuring their progress.
- In-Depth Feedback: You will offer in-depth, substantive feedback on your students’ weekly activities. These weekly reports will also take into account a student’s overall progress and goals.
- Administrative Stuff: You will be asked to communicate frequently with Mahea Lee, our VP of Learning & Curriculum, and to keep certain documents up to date, like the student roster spreadsheet.
- Above-and-Beyond Support: You will be prompted to get creative and figure out how you can go above and beyond to deliver value to your students! It could be sending them music relevant to their tastes, helping them understand additional musical ideas or technologies, or sending them a video of youself demoing a topic.
What qualifies someone to be a Soundfly Mentor?
- Outstanding Communication Skills. You should feel extremely comfortable communicating frequently over email and phone.
- Knowledge and Experience: We look for mentors with a variety of different areas of expertise. You certainly don’t need to be an expert in every topic we teach, but you should be able to demonstrate that you possess substantial theoretical and real-world knowledge in at least one specific area of music.
- The Desire to See Students Grow: You should be excited to go out of your way to help musicians reach their artistic goals. That means being patient, understanding, and positive. It also means having an open heart when it comes to musical preferences and creative choices.
- A Passion for Learning: Though you should already be confident in your skills, you should be constantly looking to learn more about music.
Interested in becoming a Soundfly Mentor? Head over to our application form to get started. We look forward to hearing from you!